Whilst the staircase in your home may not look at home in a palace or mansion, it nonetheless holds significant architectural interest for visitors to your home and the location it has been erected in. Whilst the shape of the handrails, newel posts, steps and balustrades are an important part of the overall design, it is what you add to the structure afterwards that can really make the difference. This is why we have compiled a list of tips that you can use to add decoration to your home’s brand new staircase design.
- Picture Gallery – If your staircase design is relatively modest in size and detail, you could use the wall either side of the flight to create your very own picture gallery. Whether you use photographs (professional family ones always look good, as do school photos of your children as they grow) or artwork (pictures that your children have drawn or pieces that you have picked up over the years) is up to you.
- Transition – It is important that you consider the rooms that connect with the staircase; more often than not, this will be a hallway but the flight will often begin or end in a living area, too. These areas may be viewed together, so it is important that you utilize some of the decorative elements that have been used in these rooms. Colour schemes and themes seem to be the best way to draw mirror images.
- Storage Space – Did you know that the space beneath your staircase offers you a great storage opportunity? You could opt for a closed in space that is used to hide away those more unsightly objects (such as cleaning apparatus) or you could opt for an open space that is used to display your prized possessions (such as a mini library or even a bar). This is the ideal solution for homes that are lacking in space.
- Tread Surface – It is also a good idea to consider the appearance of your treads, as these can make or break the appearance of your staircase. If you have chosen carpet (which can make the space feel warm and family friendly) you must make sure that it has been properly tacked to the surface and that it will not come up. If you have chosen a timber stain, you must make sure that it matches the flight.
- Décor – Depending on the layout of your staircase design, the area could also be the perfect place to add some décor. Perhaps you could install shelving in a safe place to put some items on display, or you could hang some pendants or chandeliers from the ceiling, or you could place some of your children’s favourite stuffed toys along the balustrade, or you could put some sticker decals on the wall.
When it comes to adding decoration to your home’s newest staircase design, you might be pleased to learn that there are actually a number of ways that you can achieve this in a tasteful way that works with your theme. Use as many or as little of the above ideas as you would like; we may have even inspired you to come up with some of your own that will work with your design better. We hope that, as well as making your staircase look better, these ideas will also help you to use your space better.easy home decor ideasHome decorhome decor blogs Indiahome improvement tipsstaircase designways to give your home a new look