The real estate industry is a booming and growing market that contributes about five percent of India’s GDP, according to IBEF. In this competitive market, it’s important to make sure you have your home properly prepped for sale both aesthetically and structurally. Taking on a month long project one week in advance could create a nightmare when it’s time to impress potential buyers.
Here’s a timeline of improvements you should make before an open house.
Six Months Before the Move
The following are projects that will take some time and–if you decide to forego the DIY route–could mean spending time researching costs from several companies in order to get the best price. So it’s best to start these projects as soon as you know you’ll be putting your home on the market.
- Have your trim painted.
- If your home still has an uneven or irregular slab stone walkway to your front door, you should consider replacing it with concrete, which is easier for most people — especially seniors and the handicapped — to negotiate. For the best results, you should rent a compactor to make sure that the ground is level before having the cement poured.
- Fix your fence as well as any broken railings on your porch or on your deck. You should also paint or stain them, if necessary.
- Replace any shutters that are broken.
- Have a roofing professional remove moss from your roof and replace any missing shingles.
Three Months Before
- Reseed and patch bare spots on your lawn.
- Make sure all of your gutters and downspouts are attached. In addition, have your gutters cleaned, especially if they are visibly overflowing with leaves or have weeds growing in them.
- Replace torn or broken screens
One Month Before
- Buy and plant annual flowers to give a burst of color to your front yard.
- Clean off your patio and/or deck area. You might want to invest in some nice outdoor furniture, such as sofas made from weatherproof materials, for your deck area. With the right furniture, you can give the buyer the illusion that your home has more living and entertaining space than just its interior spaces.
- If you can’t afford to have your entire home painted or it doesn’t need it, at least paint your front door
- Trim bushes and trees, especially if they have grown to the point where they are obscuring your home.
One Week Before
- Power wash the siding of your home to remove moss, mildew and dirt.
- Add potted plants and hanging baskets for more color
- Clean your windows and, if you have one, the storm door
One Day Before
The following should be done the day before your first open house and also on a regular basis until your home is sold.
- If you have children, put away their toys.
- Sweep or wash away cobwebs from your porch and the exterior of your home.
- Get rid of weeds from your lawn and flower beds.
- Mow and edge the lawn.